Due to COVID-19 there are events, facilities and programs in our community that are being cancelled, closed or postponed. This page will keep track of everything for you:
- The MICs Group of Health Services (Matheson/Iroquois Falls/Cochrane) has announced, effective immediately, that no visitors or volunteers will be allowed in hospitals and Long-Term-Care. All out patients are being screened. Some outpatient services could be impacted. You will be notified if your appointment is deferred or cancelled. Please contact the Porcupine Health Unit (705-461-1818) or Telehealth Ontario (1-866-797-0000) if you are experiencing fever, cough or shortness of breath and have concerns.
- Civic Centre: Behind the counter services are discontinued. Screening at the main reception desk is mandatory and staff will direct public access only if necessary. This includes Building and Planning Services, Treasury and Administration Offices.
- Donat Brousseau Pool: All programming is cancelled until further notice.
- Sports Palace: All programming is cancelled until further notice.
- Golden Age Centre: Wednesday Lunches, Yoga and Fitness Classes are cancelled until further notice
- Kapuskasing Public Library: Closed for public access. Books can be requested by appointment Call 705-335-3363 for more information.
- Welcome Centre: Closed for public access.
- Public Works Building: Closed for public access.
- Kapuskasing Fire Department: Closed for public access but will still respond to 911.
- The Knights of Columbus are cancelling their Thursday night bingo until further notice.
- The Kapuskasing Community Rendez-vous lunch and speaker scheduled for March 28th has been cancelled.
- All ski and snowshoe rental services at Kap Nordic Ski Club have been suspended
- The Federation of Northern Ontario Municipalities (FONOM) have cancelled their Annual General Meeting and Conference, which was to take place in Timmins from May 13th to 15th
- NOJHL Playoffs (affecting Hearst Lumberjacks) has been cancelled for 2019-2020
- The Kapuskasing Curl Club has officially closed for the remainder of the curling season.
- Timmins & District Humane Society will be limiting public access to our building in an effort to keep our staff, volunteers, and the public safe. In turn, Timmins’ shelter animals will also remain safe and well cared for
- Kapuskasing Rotary Youth Services is cancelling Rotary Radio Day this year due to the current Covid-19 pandemic. The committee unanimously agrees that we do not want to add to the financial stress already on local businesses. We wish to thank all of our sponsors & Rotary volunteers, C.K.G.N. & Moose FM for their continued support. We look forward to holding our annual event again next year.
- The Moonbeam Art Gallery has cancelled the following events: Fundraising event on March 28 at Community Centre, Bravo-nord exhibit at Art Gallery from April 1st to May 3rd, Art Festival at Community Centre from April 30th to May 3rd
- The Kapuskasing Nordic Ski Chalet, as well as the trails, are closed until further notice.
- Northern College will be suspending its face-to-face classes until further notice and closing its doors to the public immediately. The College currently is on reading week and class suspensions are effective March 20, 2020 when reading week ends. Commencing the week of March 23, students may resume studies through remote program delivery utilizing the college’ learning management system, Blackboard
The Township of Moonbeam is taking precautionary measures to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 and to keep its community healthy. The Township of Moonbeam would like to advise of the following reduction and cancellation of services: Practice social distancing and call ahead if you require specific services. Our office will be able to assist or direct your calls. You can reach us at 705-367-2244 during regular business hours. All municipal buildings and services that are closed to the public: Skating Rink, Rémi Ski Hill, Community Centre (including access to the UCFO local), Cultural Centre, Municipal Office, Public Moonbeam Library, Information Centre
- ALL snowmobile trails will be closed as of 11:59pm on Saturday, March 21st, according to the OFSC
- The Spring Fling set for the St. Patrick’s Church Hall on Saturday April 18th in Kapuskasing has been cancelled
- ALL Provincial Parks in Ontario are closed. In our region that includes Kettle Lakes Provincial Park & Rene Brunelle Provincial Park
- All Roman Catholic Masses in Kapuskasing Notre Dam Des Victoires Church, Immaculate Conception and St. Patrick’s Church are cancelled
- The hospital has announced today that the outpatient laboratory will be located at the Kapuskasing Regional Doctors’ office building and be open from 9 am to 1 pm. For urgent Blood Work and ECGs, please call the hospital
- Canada Post has announced a reduced schedule at the Kapuskasing post office, with the facility now open from 10 am to 4 pm. Seniors and those with disabilities will be able to access the Post Office from 10 am-11 am
- The Fauquier-Strickland Library is closed to the public and the employees are no longer working. We regret that we have to closed but we will be happy to see you after this pandemic. The Fauquier-Strickland Library was supposed to host a Flea Market on Saturday, April 18th, 2020, and we are in the obligation to cancel this event and it is postponed to next year, Saturday, April 17th, 2021. At this time, we ask people to no longer bring stuff to donate to the Library
- The Cochrane Sportsman’s Show (May 9th-10th) has been cancelled
- The Porquis Music Festival (July 17, 18, 19) has been cancelled
- The Kapuskasing and Hearts Cadets would like to announce that all cadet training activity, including weekly training, band & drill competition, and summer camps are cancelled until at least August 31st 2020
- The Kapuskasing Festival of Music scheduled for April has been postponed. Once a new date has been confirmed, we’ll update it here.