Listen Live
HomeNewsTown Council reaffirms decision not to host evacuees this Spring

Town Council reaffirms decision not to host evacuees this Spring

Town Council reconfirmed its decision on Monday that it will not be hosting evacuees this Spring. Last week a preliminary discussion was held by council to look at possibly hosting life and limb evacuees. Councillor Julien Boucher made this recommendation to council.

“That the municipality doesn’t have the capacity to host evacuees at the moment with our internal resources,” he said. “We will continue to cooperate with PEOC  (Provincial Emergency Operations Centre to offer our assistance wherever possible.”

Boucher says they are willing to help in an advisory role.

“If they need anything from our side then Guylaine (Ouellette) and Pat (Kennedy) have lots of experience with evacuees and evacuations,” he said. “We are open to that.”

- Advertisement -

Boucher says they could reconsider hosting evacuees if there was more external help available such as the army.

The Ontario Provincial Police told Kapuskasing that they don’t have any extra help available to help with evacuees. Sensenbrenner Hospital Officials felt they might not have the capacity to cover healthcare to more than just the local residents due to the COVID-19 emergency.

Cooler temperatures have reduced the risk of flooding in First Nation Communities this Spring. However, if temperatures get mild for consecutive days then that could increase that risk.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading