Snowbirds are making a dash for the border because of COVID-19, wanting to get out of the States and back into Canada while they still can.
Cindy and Leslie Mann of Cochrane were planning to stay on South Padre Island, Texas until the end of the month.
From the interstate in Iowa this morning, Cindy told us they also want to get home while they’re still healthy.
“Our travel insurance runs out March 31st so we want to make sure that we’re home and not sick in the United States,” she says.
After three days of driving, they expect to be in Thunder Bay tonight. Cindy says it’s then home to precautionary self-isolation.
“We don’t have any symptoms or anything like that and we are taking our temperatures and doing stuff like that on the way home and we are using alcohol wipes and hand sanitizer all he way,” she adds “My in-laws are in their 80s and we don’t want to go visit them until we know we’re not infected.”
The Manns have booked South Padre Island for next winter. Cindy says they’ll wait and see if they can go by then.
Here is the full interview with Cindy Mann on Friday morning: