News Gas Meter And Vent Checks Can Save Lives SHARE ON: Nick Birnie, staff Thursday, Mar. 14th, 2019 Photo of Carbon Monoxide Alarm It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your home. According to Fire Chief Pat Kennedy, this is a perfect time of year to be double checking your vents and your gas meter. Kennedy says that with the heavy snowfalls through the winter season, you must take time to clear away the snow and ice from your gas meter set as well as external exhaust outlets. He says a gas meter that is covered can cause serious risks in the home “For the meter what happens is that it blocks your vents, so if you don’t open up your vents for your hot water tank or your furnace then you get carbon monoxide building up inside your house.” Kennedy says having working carbon monoxide alarms is a must. “Make sure you have working carbon monoxide alarms because carbon monoxide is a silent killer, and we have had a couple incidents this year, and of course in the middle of the night the carbon monoxide alarms go off and if they don’t go off, well you can not wake up.” Any issues with your meter make sure you call your gas company. He also says if your alarming is going off and you are experiencing flu like symptoms such as nausea and vomiting means you are experiencing CO poisoning, get out of the house, leave the door open and always proceed to call 911.