In Kapuskasing, two tossed cigarettes led to two separate fires and luckily no injuries.
That’s according to Fire Chief Pat Kennedy, who says around noon Thursday the OPP station called in a small grass fire, and later around 4:20pm firefighters were called to Byng Avenue to deal with another blaze.
Kennedy says the first fire at 80 Riverside Drive was begun by a tossed cigarette burning away in mulch, which was easily put out.
He says the second fire was due to another tossed cigarette igniting garbage in between 9 Byng Avenue and 6 Queen Street.
Kennedy says the tossed cigarettes could have led to worse.
He says it is very important to properly dispose of your cigarette butts.
Kennedy says his crew was able to reach both scenes quickly to put out both blazes promptly, leading to no injuries or damage.